International Session Application Information
JTC’s Parent Toddler Discovery Program
Session Dates for 2018 will be posted by December 1, 2017
Application process opens January 17, 2018
Open to families who speak English or Spanish and reside across the globe including the U.S.
The session is held on JTC's Los Angeles campus.
- Completion of application form provided by JTC after initial contact from family
- Toddler age 18 to 35 months old whose primary need is hearing loss
- Use of hearing aid or implant and spoken language as communication approach
- Toddler, parent and one other adult able to attend the full five days of session
- Experience-based morning program for parents to guide their toddlers’ communication
- Adult education full afternoon program for parents to discover emerging toddler skills
- Creative play based small group activities designed for toddler and parent discovery
- Formal presentations and observations of audition, language and child development
- Individualized instruction by JTC experts on language, listening and speech strategies
- Opportunities for discussions and support groups on roles, devices and education
This program is designed for parents and toddlers with hearing loss using hearing aids or implants whose families aim to support early spoken language development. It is offered in English and Spanish. Two adults must enroll with each toddler to accommodate the developmentally appropriate schedule. One parent participates in the group setting with the toddler in morning activities. While the toddler naps in the afternoon back in individual housing with one adult family member, the parent attends adult sessions. (There is no sibling program offered.) The parents will discover, practice and learn skills to help their toddlers achieve peer-level communication outcomes and be ready for inclusive preschool settings.
This highly specialized annual program is small and the spaces are limited. The application process begins mid-January and continues until the program is full. The application is done online. Acceptance is based on space available, eligibility and date when the completed application is received. Sessions fill up months ahead of time. After a family is notified of their acceptance, there is ongoing communication to help prepare for attending. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Include in the inquiry the child’s age, listening device(s) being used and any current concerns. The code for accessing the International Session application form will be provided to parents after their initial request has been discussed.
JTC Parent Toddler Discovery Program Costs
Each accepted family must pay the costs for their transportation, housing, food, and Internation Session services. As a non-profit, JTC needs to charge fees to assist with covering a small portion of the actual costs incurred. There are no scholarships or financial assistance available from JTC. A suggestion for families desiring financial aid is to look for support from their home communities. Prices are in United States Dollars (USD) and payments for JTC services can be made by credit card. Apartment fees are set by the university and can be paid by cash or credit card.
|JTC International Session||2017 FEE||PAYMENT DUE DATE|
|Parent Toddler Discovery Program||$790 parent(s) and one toddler with hearing loss for the whole session||Within two weeks of acceptance***|
|Second toddler with hearing loss in same family||+$475 for the whole session||within two weeks of acceptance***|
|Furnished two-bedroom university student apartment near JTC||$437.76 for eight nights paid to university||first day of session|
Note: There is no sibling program offered